Interview with Judy Clark, Director, Talent Acquisition of BC Children’s and BC Women’s Hospitals - 2014 Dream Employer Winner
PHSA has received a number of employer awards over the last few years, including BC’s Top Employers, one of Canada’s Greenest Employers, and one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People. This year we were again designated one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, a prestigious award that we have worked hard to maintain twice in a row!
The Dream Employers recognition adds a new facet, because we were selected by the public. We are so proud to be identified by the community as a dream employer, and of the reputation that we have in the province. Our hope is that we can continue to live up to this reputation for many years to come.
2. What are your organization’s top 2 employee engagement programs?
Formally, PHSA has a well-established engagement program called Engagement Matters! The program includes an organization-wide survey at 18-month intervals, and the 12 questions serve as a conversation starter for employees and their leaders to create action plans to foster employee engagement and a positive work culture. We like to foster a two-pronged approach: 1) what can the organization/leadership do to make PHSA a great place to work, and 2) how can we empower our employees to contribute to a positive and engaging culture.
Because we know that engagement and culture are outcomes, we are also proud of our recognition program across PHSA. This includes:
- Everyday recognition – peer-to-peer, top-down, bottom-up recognition. Examples include recognition postcards for on-the-spot recognition (hard copy, printable, and e-cards)
- Excellence and best practice (internal): rewarding success and innovation and improvement from within the organization. Examples include our PHSA+ Awards, BCEHS Awards of Excellence.
- Excellence and best practice (external): Showcasing professional achievements recognized outside of PHSA. Examples include HEABC Health Care Awards, recognizing employees who have received accolades such as “Top Under 40” awards.
- Long service: Celebrating employee commitment to our agencies, services, programs and divisions.
3. Are there any innovative recruitment platforms you’re using to engage in/or planning to implement in 2015?
Because of the specialized nature of our career opportunities, we have spent the last several years investing in technology and processes to ensure that we have the global reach we need to attract top talent. This includes external efforts such as SEO/SEM and social media. Additionally, we have recently launched an internal online application system, which allows all of our 18,000+ employees across BC to apply for jobs throughout PHSA, ensuring that our staff can “build their career right here”.
This month we are launching a new on-boarding/off-boarding platform to ensure that we provide the best employee experience from start to finish. The new program will include two separate streams: a series of short touch-points as an employee begins their career with us, and an exit survey designed to give employees leaving the opportunity to confidentially share any feedback on their time with us. Both the onboarding and off-boarding surveys will enable us to celebrate success as well as identify areas where we could further equip our leaders to provide an even better employment experience.